What is an Autoimmune Disorder?
The two most common types of autoimmune disorders are lupus and multiple sclerosis. Lupus is a disease that causes the body’s immune system to attach itself, and can cause severe damage to the lungs, heart, kidneys, skin, blood, and joints. Multiple Sclerosis is a disease that affects the nervous system including the brain, spine, and optical nerves. These conditions are often difficult to understand and even more difficult to explain. This is why if you are considering Social Security Disability because of a kidney related condition, you should contact us.
How Does Social Security View Autoimmune Conditions?
When Social Security looks at the severity of your condition to determine if you are medically eligible for the benefit or not, they look at two main criteria. The two main questions Social Security asks are whether your condition meets or equals a listing, or whether your condition affects your ability to do certain tasks so much that you can no longer perform any kind of work competitively.
Listings: Listings are 14 different types of conditions, that if you meet the exact criteria Social Security has set up, you will be considered medically eligible for Disability.
Both Multiple Sclerosis and Lupus offer individual listings. To better understand if your kidney condition meets the listing you should contact us at 1-800-488-4775.
Multiple Sclerosis (Listing 11.09)
To meet the listing for M.S. you must meet one of the following:
- Impairment in at least two limbs that make it difficult to walk or use your hands
- Severe vision impairment
- Memory loss, decrease in IQ, or severe disturbances in mood
- Severe fatigue and muscle weakness caused by the MS
- Lupus (Listing 14.02)
To meet the listing under the Lupus listing you must have the following
- The condition affects at least two body systems or organs
- The condition causes two of the following symptoms
- Frequent exhaustion
- Frequent fever
- Malaise (always feeling ill or in a feeling of physical discomfort)
- Significant weight loss
- If your Lupus is more sporadic you can still win if you have two of the following symptoms
- Limitation in your daily living (showering, cooking, cleaning, driving)